Jul 6, 2007

MY 4th of July: The Good The Bad and The Ugly

I was happily lazing my way thru the 4th when my son walks up to me and asks "Dad, can I set up a lemonade stand?" My heart leapt with joy... my son is picking up on my entrepreneurial legacy and wants to EARN his dough. I looked outside, at a bird who was hooked up to an IV machine getting a dose of fluids, in the 101 degree heat. It was 11 AM.
"Sure!" I said. Oh man... a hot day... but I gotta support this kind of initiative... We spent $9 on lemonade, ice and cups... picked a good spot, and two hours later, we'd made.. $9. But I'd had a very good time making the signs with him, and tossing out little educational terms like marketing, advertising and location, location, location.

We went and saw "Ratatouille" and I might have enjoyed it more than him, although he was often doubled over in laughter. VERY good job, Pixar. Thanks for making the movies I wanted to see when I was a kid.

Then we went to our strategically parked car on the roof of the Valencia Town Center Mall parking garage, to watch the fireworks. Perhaps next year, we'll get a little further away, as fireworks shows are too damn loud that close..I don't know what was worse: the bangs, or the BIKERS constantly using foul language even though they were surrounded by dozens of families with kids. They reinforced every negative stereotype I've EVER had about bikers, and started brand new ones for my kid to believe. Idiots. Left the parking lot behind a guy who had taken great pains to put a ghetto-like lift kit on.... a Chevy Corsica... a Corsica? There is still one on the road? That was one of the worst cars ever made... My town, Valencia.. is turning into frakkin' Los Angeles slowly, before my eyes.... I hope it slows down, because Valencia is still far better than anywhere else in this state to live.

No comments: